Parent Handbook, Parent Involvement
1. Submit an Application
2. Be contacted by a HCAP Head Start Family Advocate
Parent Handbook > Parent Involvement
Parents are the most important influence in a child's development. An essential part of the Head Start program is the involvement of parents in parent education and program planning and operating activities. They serve as members of the Policy Council and Parent Committee and have a voice in administrative and managerial decisions.
Parent Education Training
- Head Start provides parent involvement and education activities that are responsive to parents' expressed needs.
- Workshops and training are available for parents to enhance life skills.
- Parent education training is available. Registration funds are limited. See your Family Advocate for more details.
Through participation in classes and workshops on child development, and through staff visits to the home, parents learn about the needs of their children and about educational activities that can be carried out at home.
- Parents are involved in program policy-making and operations.
- Parents are encouraged to participate in our program as visitors/volunteers to observe and/or actively participate with their children in the learning centers.
- Current and former parents also serve in Head Start on a volunteer or paid basis as Assistant Teachers, Family Advocates, and other staff members.